Wednesday, April 7, 2010

LET IT GROW!!!!

I mentioned briefly about letting my beard grow and the garden I have planted. Here is a little insight behind the 2.

My beard, it's a spiritual thing. Kinda like a daily reminder of the fact that I am not clean and that I am sinful. I have done this in the past with my beard and it helped me lose 45 lbs. I am hoping that this summer I can add another 45 lbs to that as well as work on a couple more areas in my life. I plan on continuing to let it grow until Andrea gets home in Sept or Oct.

As for the garden, well that's quite a bit deeper. I have for some time had a hankering to have a farm of some sort with as much acreage as we can afford. I have become a believer in learning to work the land. I believe that one day, only God knows when, there will be a war like we haven't ever seen on this planet. And during that time people will be fending for themselves. I feel that to some extent it is my obligation to my kids to learn how to survive so I can teach them and they can pass it on. And if it isn't for 10 more generations til they REALLY need it, I can say I planted the seed, figuratively and literally.

On the more surface level behind my garden. I get bored easily. I have been in landscaping and working outdoors in some capacity for almost 15 yrs. I recently sold my lawn business just shy of owning 6 yrs. I want to be able to provide my family some healthy food of course, and also share it. I am COMPLETELY baffled at how there could be a SINGLE person on this planet who wants to eat that can't. Speaking ONLY to the group of people who are saved, it is our responsibility to feed the hungry and give rest to the weary. Of course discretion can be used for people who don't want to help themselves, but the large majority of those who are hungry don't have a choice and they are stuck on some level.

This evening my friends Mike and Michele came over with their daughter and Michele's cousin. We spent about 2 hours working in the garden together. Tonight we planted 2 types of tomatos(reg and cherry), peppers(bell, banana, jalapeno), peas, sunflowers and eggplant. I had already planted carrots, squash, cantaloupe, cucumbers, potatos and beans. Still to be planted are corn, pumpkin and watermelon.

Andrea told me if I ever wanted a farmlike garden, I better grow something here first, so the way I see it, I got a pretty good shot at getting "something" to grow. And since I have all this time on my hands, I have the time to LET IT GROW and take care of it.

I see through gardening a lesson of patience. I am an instant gratificatation person. I really would much rather go to wally world and get my groceries. But deep down inside me there is something trying to claw it's way out. God has been moving in my life for quite some time to get back to the basics. He has been telling me that so much of what I have is insignificant. And it's all the things that for so long meant so much to me.

Here I am now at 31 years old, and up until 3 months ago, I would have never guessed I would be a house husband. 2 years ago, I would have puked at the thought of a farm. 4 years ago I would have not had what it takes to stay humble during this time apart from my wife. 8 years ago I would have mocked God. 10 years ago, being a father wasn't a thought. Look at me now. Guess all I can do is LET IT GROW!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment